Meridian Magazine

29 March 2005

Nicknamers

My family produced a couple of nicknames for me and my siblings while I was growing up. But, my wife's family has raised the practice to a new art. This trait has rubbed off on me some during our 18 years of marriage. Here are a couple that I can remember for our children:

Ailsa:
Salsa -most popular and most often used, see story below*

Adda

Agamemnon

Bae Ailsa

BaeAilsaBubba

Bae Adda

Little princess hand in pants (don't ask)

Jensen:

Jens

Sensen (patterned after Salsa)

Ginna

Bae Ginna

Gabinna

GinnaGaBobbin
Those with an eye for these things will note that these nicknames evolve. Some of these of course are the result of a two year old Ailsa trying to say Jensen or a very young Jensen with her ubiquitous ciuccio (binky) trying to say Ailsa's name.

So far Laney hasn't generated any good nicknames. There's something about her name.


* Many years ago my sister was working in the kitchen and her young son asked her what she was doing. When she told him she was making some salsa he thought for several seconds and then said, "I have a cousin named Salsa." Despite other nicknames then in use for Ailsa, Salsa quickly assumed a very high usage rate.

No comments: