Meridian Magazine

03 May 2005

Sink Me

As a family recently we have been watching a lot of the PBS type period movies such as the Scarlet Pimpernel, the Count of Monte Cristo, House of Mirth (where's the Mirth?) and currently we are watching the six part Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. I have never read any of Jane Austen's works. I know I should. This may not be a man's movie. But, the Democratic process in my home will never favor Bruce Willis movies. The girls are purring at Colin Firth (I'm afraid I don't see the attraction) while I find Jennifer Ehle quite tolerable. The writing is witty, the characters well played, especially Mr. Collins, Lady Catherine de Bourgh, and Mrs. Bennett. I confess though I can watch just about anything if the players have an accent from the British Isles, "It's so intelligent like."

No comments: