Meridian Magazine

05 May 2005


Prom 1976, Somewhere in Irvine, CA? Proof that bad taste existed before Disco. (I'm not talking about Kendall.)

I had a prom once too. Why yes, that is pink trim on my ruffles to match the lovely pink chevron on my date's dress. And those are white gym shoes (probably K-Swiss?) My friends and I were very impressed with Sir Paul McCartney's gym shoes with formal attire at the Oscars (was it 1974?) I think I attended other proms too. But, this was my senior year and not at a "foreign" school. I don't remember much except that there was a lake with a fountain in the middle and there were also paddle boats for rent. We saw one guy take his date right through the middle of the fountain for some sort of deranged prom night baptism.

One note: I grew up in Orange County, California. I never heard anybody say "OC" or "The OC" until the silly soap opera came out. I have never seen the show. But, I'm sure it grossly misrepresents life there for about 99% percent of the people. We were self absorbed and affected and weird. But, not anymore so than anywhere else.Posted by Hello

1 comment:

su-tang 3000 said...

I will be using this picture as my new desktop background image!