Meridian Magazine

23 August 2006

Snakes on a Bike

I did a lot of riding in San Clemente. Maybe not any more miles than ever. But, I only rode 8 days. So, a higher average mileage. I found near the end of the first week that I was not recovering overnight and eventually had no more place to go to "dig deeper." After about 170 miles in three days the last week this became even more pronounced and Jensen and I limped home the last 13 miles barely turning the pedals over.

On 10 August Jensen and I did almost 40 miles on the tandem. We (really only I) saw a snake on the bike path just barely onto the Marine Base. This was no wimpy garter snake. But, a hefty awe/fear inspiring Adder or recently sated someother kind of snake. It was about 3 feet long and quite plump. That's why I thought something like Adder. I wasn't eager to spend too much time in its presence. It surprised me and by the time I was completely aware what it was, there wasn't anything I could do to avoid it other than ride closer to the bushes. As it was, we had to pass within about 4 feet of it.

Later, on the 16th I think, I saw this same snake again. This time after I passed him I turned back and looped around a couple of times to get a closer (but safe) look. It definitely was a Diamondback. As I got closer to him he started making his way into the bushes.

One idea I have about the recovery problem, since I noticed this more this year than in the past, and of course it's not that I'm getting older: One reason my speed has been better this year (I think) is I have concentrated a lot on using the whole leg and the whole pedal motion. This is easier to do when I use higher gears and pedal more slowly. The upshot is I go faster and my heart rate doesn't go so high. But, I think when you've exhausted those reserves, there's nothing left.

No comments: