Meridian Magazine

11 February 2005

Pickles

Recent postings by John Derbyshire over at the Corner brought to mind an incident from my past. Pickles are usually pretty good. I once had a very good pickle and I understand Derb's desire to acquire a stockpile once he found a good one. However, this story is more about a time and place than about a pickle. I think it was August 1985. I had come "home" to California for vacation from WADC. I was still single so I had to look up some girls I knew in the area. One of them was working taking pictures for a used car advertising magazine. If I remember correctly she was stationed at a car wash where people would meet her and she would take a picture of their car for the publication. I met her at this car wash in San Juan Capistrano. She suggested we go to a local sandwich shop/deli for lunch. They served me the best pickle I have ever had. I don't remember the name of the shop and probably could not find it even if it is still there. The food seemed like it was very kosher. I've always assumed that was why the pickle was so good. That was the last time I saw that friend and that was the best pickle I have ever had.... so far.

No comments: