Meridian Magazine

28 February 2005

Music with Hooks

I went to a presentation Saturday morning by well known LDS composer Janice Kapp Perry. For years in jest I have called her Janice Kapp Joplin, partly because of her "popular" side. At the presentation she helped to iterate and identify music's power as a learning tool and an agent for recall. She passed on someone else's remark that "music is a tatoo on your soul." I recently became acquainted with the insidious Romanian pop tune "Dragostea Din Tei." Of course it quickly became a family hit. We took a very short quick vacation at the beginning of January to California for the wedding of a nephew. Fortunately, the two oldest daughters are of an age where my wife and I can relate with them in a lot of different areas. Ailsa made us listen to the song often while we were captive in the car and there was much joviality. And of course it was played again to launch the drive home as soon as we got on the 405 freeway. Now, that song will always remind me of that fun trip that we had the same way that Ricky Martin and Smashmouth remind me of a summer vacation from a couple of years ago and "Clocks" by Coldplay reminds me of sitting in a tiny apartment in Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy in June of 2001.

No comments: