Meridian Magazine

11 February 2005

Can you tell what I'm saying?

Anyone who has watched children grow and learn has to be amazed from time to time. I have a great interest in languages and the learning of languages. My youngest daughter (age 4) has a very slight but very cute and endearing tendency to what I would call vocal or phonic dyslexia. Examples: for the longest time she was saying "cursomul." It finally dawned on me a couple of months ago, she was trying to say "commercial." She used to say "kinchen" for chicken. The name Chantell became Tanchell. Ruby the cat was "Reeboo", a cookie was "keecoo", tickle was "kiddle". Her attempt at chocolate came out as "kajshat." She has trouble with Grandma and Grandpa so it came out "pugga and pugga" and then developed into the collective noun "pugga" or "the Puggas" or" pugga and pugga and pugga". Notice how close that is to the Maori, "Paka" in Whalerider. The other day we were driving by a cemetery and she said, "my sisters are in that cemetery." I said, "do you mean your ansisters?" She replied, " yeah that's right."

For a while she called earplugs and earphones, "plug earrings." She called a Guinea Pig "skinny pig." She says I can't know how, rather than I don't know how. She's been calling the arm rests in the car "sleeper arms." A couple of months ago we had a visitor in our home for the first time who is Samoan. When she saw him she made her way over to Lenore and said, partially sotto voce, "Mommy, you have to speak Spanish to chocolate people."

No comments: