Meridian Magazine

07 March 2012

O Divine Redeemer

Singers will understand. But, I'll try to help the rest of you.

Our neighbor Geri Suzuki left at the beginning of the year to serve as a missionary for our Church in New Jersey. She has considerable nursing, administrative, musical skills et al. Early in December she asked me to sing at her "farewell" Church service. I was happy to oblige. She eventually requested that I sing O Divine Redeemer by Gounod.

When I was a kid this was one of those songs that would make me cringe. I have since grown to be very fond of it. I remember dropping into the Stake Center for some reason or another once on a Sunday years ago and hearing a young woman sing it very well. It's nice to be able to sing the upper notes without having to belt them. She was able to.

I quickly decided to sing the version for the medium voice (goes to G). The low was easy enough. But, doesn't really showcase my better range. The high version is probably just too high. And I'm a scaredy cat, I've never sung this before. And, while it may not be the most difficult piece. I think most people who have sung it would agree that it is within about 99% of the most difficult pieces.

With my "aging" voice, if I'm not singing everyday or close to it, it's a grab bag what my strength and range will be when I try to sing. I have to practice consistently for about three weeks at least to get back up to some semblance of condition.

Anyway, I got together with Christy Anderson, who is a GEM, and practiced, and recorded the accompaniment so I could practice without her. I worked on it and fretted over it and when the time came I was in pretty good voice. It went off just fine. Actually maybe even better than I wanted. I don't have the typical Tenor voice. I have never been able to really develop my full voice above E or F. I DO have a VERY strong falsetto that, when I am in shape, can go at least to B or B#. Sometimes though while my falsetto might be doing fine, I might still have a bit of a hole in my break. I just try to negotiate it as best as possible.

A note: I have been using beta blockers when I perform solos for at least 15 years or so. While in the past there was always at least a small amount of anxiety during the first phrase or so, this time there was practically nothing. That medication is really a godsend for performers.

No comments: