Meridian Magazine

23 May 2006

CSLC

Jensen and I got up at 6am on Saturday to do the first leg (36 miles) of the Cycle Salt Lake Century ride. The weather forecasts all week long had projected possible thunderstorms. Luckily, when I woke up it looked like the weather would be fine, just a little windy. There were a lot of people at the fairgrounds when we arrived, more than I have seen for this ride.

We ran into Cliff Lillywhite while waiting in line to pick up our t-shirt and wristband. He had ridden down from his house in Centerville with a group of friends. The route now goes right by his house so he was just going to stop there on his way back.

There was a little bit of a tailwind while going north. We were only planning on riding to the first feed station and then back, unless we felt like going further. But, with the wind I could tell I didn't want to go any further. It was great on the way out. We went really fast. The way back was miserable at times. By then it was an 18 MPH wind and we could only average 14 MPH on the return trip. The last 5 miles or so I was pretty well spent. I didn't eat a ton before starting the ride. I did eat a good amount at the turnaround. It must have been too late.

I weighed 191.5 before the ride. I then ate a couple of granola type bars, a marshmallow rice crispie treat, a fig bar, a banana, drank two bottles of drink, and then had the most part of a McDonalds breakfast. After all that and the ride I was down one pound. I made up for it though. By the end of the day I had reached 197.5.

No comments: