Meridian Magazine

01 April 2005

Bwuaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

There's a stomach virus making the rounds of the Lillywhite household. Jensen was ill on Tuesday. Laney fell ill last night. In our home we ascribe to the Jerry Seinfeld theory of vomiting, never is soon enough. Now that I am a parent I admire my mother even more for always being there and waking so many times in the middle of the night when we were sick. About 2:30am I heard Laney whimpering a little. That is very unusual for her. In a split nanosecond my unconscious mind realized that she was probably ill like Jensen had been and in another split nanosecond I was in her room picking her up and trying to make sure she made it to the WC. I've had too many "opportunities" to use the wet/dry vac in the middle of the night, thank you. Well, we managed to get her to the bathroom in time. My mind was still so foggy I could have run across hot coals without knowing it. Then the next thing that happens at a time like this you immediately start doing a physical assessment to see if you were exposed to Jensen's bug and if the appropriate incubation period has elapsed. Why yes, I do feel a little queasy come to think of it. Hand me that bottle of Pepto and a funnel, please. There's always a 80 percent chance that you feel yuckey now because of psychosomatosis or just because of the smell. Vomiting is one of the most self generating things in the world. Well, I was sitting there and Laney was finished with her first bout and she said, "Remember in Young Frankenstein when he says, Put the Candle Back?" She had watched the movie earlier in the evening and for some reason now in the middle of the night in the throes of vomitus she was focused on Gene Wilder. (She put her hands up to depict a face being squished between the wall and the bookcase.) Later in the morning when Laney was again convulsing, she whimpered, turned to the mirror and said, "I don't look very pretty."

Once I got back to bed, my heart still racing, I noticed a crick in my back. I realized it was probably partly due to hoisting and hod carrying the 30 pound bundle in a dead sleep. It was also tweaked from clearing the morning's delivery of snow from the driveway. I shovelled our driveway and sidewalk and then visited with a neighbor for a couple of minutes and then we helped a third neighbor who has a driveway the size of runway number three at the Salt Lake Airport.

No comments: