Meridian Magazine

26 September 2013

The Hole Left by His Passing


Monday morning looking at some Salt Lake news articles I saw one about a local cyclist who was killed in a crash. It gave his age and I briefly thought if I knew who it could be. Later, Laverne Storch messaged me that it was Craig Buchi. It took a little while for the fact to sink in. This news was devastating.

I called Lenore and cried a little. I went home early and wept some more during dinner. Craig is probably the closest thing I have to a friend outside of family, excluding Kyle Christensen and Steve and Michelle Young and perhaps some others. He was my go-to guy for a bike riding partner. I think we only rode once this year (since I was riding WAY more consistently in the morning our schedules didn't really match up well this year.)

I met Craig shortly after we moved to Murray. We were in the same ward for the first couple of years. He used to see me riding to and from work and say that he needed to get into cycling. It was really good to see him and Teal take to it so well. Craig and I were quite well matched on the bike. So, he was a good one to ride with. Lately, he had been trying to find a convenient time to borrow our tandem bike so Tina could try it out with him.

Such a great loss. I am deeply saddened for the missed future opportunities to associate with him. He was such a good man, very amiable, very easy going. I think a big hole will go unfilled for some time.

1 comment:

Todd Lillywhite said...

I have been told the driver had a suspended license, was driving a friend's car, was uninsured and had controlled substances in her system.