Meridian Magazine

30 September 2013

Letter to Teal Buchi


We moved into Murray in September 1991. You may not know we were in the South Cottonwood ward with your family until a ward boundary change in June of 1995. I remember meeting Craig at a ward softball game soon after we moved in.

It wasn't long after that we had some kind of Ward activity, maybe a dinner or something. Afterward there were some young men playing basketball and Craig and I started shooting baskets with them. Soon enough the young men (I think it was Mark Boyle and one of the Baugh kids) challenged us to a two-on-two game. Well, we were way out of practice and out of playing shape. I was 34 or 35 and Craig was two years older and we felt like the younger fresher kids had a big advantage over us. We played hard and pulled out a win. Craig was very happy with that and several times over the years he or I would bring it up in our conversation. “Remember when we beat those young bucks?”

I have been a cycling aficionado at some level or another since my college years. In 1995 I started commuting regularly to and from work. I did this pretty consistently during the warmer part of the year until 2002 when I had my own accident with a car. About five times at least I saw Craig driving home from work or somewhere else while I was on my bike. Almost every time he would say “you've got to help me get a bike so I can get out and start riding” or something similar. It was very heartening to see you and your dad get into cycling and do so well and enjoy it so much.

More often than not I ride alone. When I did ride with others your dad was probably my most consistent partner. Your dad seemed to stay in top form pretty much year round. I let myself get out of shape in the winter. He was still happy to ride with me when I wasn't up to snuff.

There were many good rides/memories with your dad. The most memorable is similar to the story you told of riding with him at Bear Lake. It was early September a year ago. I had gone out by myself and was trying for a new PB on my favorite route. Craig encountered me when I was about 18 miles into my ride and we were coming back on 7th east. We were stopped by the light at 114th south and I told him I was trying to go as fast as possible. So we traded pulls and encouraged each other on and averaged about 25/26 mph the rest of the way home. It was a glorious ride. I will always remember the farewell salutes and handshakes as we parted ways after each ride at his last turn for home: "Great riding with you. Catch you next time.”

Teal, you may be inclined to give up road cycling, and if you do I completely understand. But, if you continue and ever need someone to ride with I am happy and honored  to share the road with you.

The Gospel can provide us with great solace at times like these.  It is true. Heavenly Father lives. Jesus is our Savior. They have provided a way for us to return to Celestial glory. While I am deeply saddened by our loss, I am comforted greatly by the fact that I will be able to associate again with your fantastic father when I make my last turn for Home.

No comments: