Meridian Magazine

07 September 2011

Labor Day


I had a funny thing happen at Yesterday's Labor Day family pool party. I got in the pool and climbed on an air mattress to relax. The mattress was a little slipperier than normal and it took me a little while and some concentration to get on and situated. I had my ear bud in so I could listen to music. I had a previously opened bottle of soda that I had put in the freezer to cool down and forgotten about. It had frozen solid and was now partially re-thawed. I'm not sure but, I guess freezing soda does something to the carbonation because when I tried to open the drink, the gas in it wanted to expand a lot and wouldn't stop. I tried a couple of abortive attempts to open the bottle and let the steam off slowly, then I just pulled off the top and let it do its thing. After all I was in a pool. It wasn't overflowing a lot. But, I still didn't want to make a mess and lose half of the drink. In all of this I guess I was moving around a little too much for my precarious purchase on the mattress and I slipped off. I went all the way under the water. But, I managed to save the drink, holding it dry and aloft triumphantly with one hand. I was concerned about my earphone which had now gone through a complete, albeit very brief, submersion. I quickly turned it off and shook as much water off/out of it as I could and left it just for a short while. Within a half hour I checked it and turned it on and it was still working. For a while the volume control seemed to be ineffective. But, it works just fine now. Dodged a little bullet on that one.

No comments: