Meridian Magazine

24 February 2008

Mindy and Shaun Hoke Wedding - Mondo Bizarro/Mormon Philotic Web Redux

We just returned from a very nice but very quick trip to California for the Wedding of nephew Shaun Hoke.

Lenore and I were originally thinking of flying down. But we waited too long and the fares increased. I am certainly glad the brown car works dependably enough to keep making these trips.



Although Lenore was in the midst of a cold she suffered through and I think had some fun.

We stayed with Wade and Kimberly, which I don't think we have ever done. It was very nice and fun. I had about a pound of bacon at breakfast Saturday morning. I had thought of bringing my bike and trying to get a ride in. I didn't. But, could have. Saturday morning after breakfast, I took a nap for a little while. I didn't feel like doing anything.



We met Mindy's family at the dinner Friday night. They were very nice and in many ways reflected and intersected our own family. She has a sister who looks a lot like Lauren. Her mother resembles Kim and her grandmother resembles Bonnie. In fact, Bonnie dated her grandfather (not such a big deal dad says because she dated everyone.) Mindy's great uncle was engaged to Dawna Rozsa when he left on his mission and then his brother (Mindy's grandfather introduced her to Claire Rosza.

One of Mindy's uncles served a two week training mission in the Orange III ward when Wade was Stake Mission president and in fact he resembles Wade.



We got to see Aron. This was the first time Laney has seen him, we think. Chris Hoke was also there. In fact, he missed the birth of a child by a couple of hours because he was in town for the wedding. This is the first time I have seen him in a couple of years and Saturday night he showed me his Super Bowl XL ring and let me touch it.

Brandon and Kelly were there with Joey. Kelly's adoption of Joey was final last week and we got their wedding announcement just a couple of days later.
When grandma and grandpa saw Joey they rhetorically asked him what was happening next month. Kelly had to remind him and then he said, "Oh yeah, we are adopting Brandon!"

The Temple was very nice. We had a tough time being quiet enough in the waiting room and also outside waiting for the couple to emerge.

As always it was great to see California. There is just something about the place, like it is heaven in waiting. Although it rained a little, I'm sure it was much better than Utah. When I napped on Saturday morning I was so groggy and it was quite peaceful. There was very little noise and I didn't feel like there was much pressing for my time.

I enjoyed listening to the roundtable discussion from the latest leadership broadcast on the way down and we all enjoyed Victor Borge on the way back.

No comments: