Meridian Magazine

02 August 2007

Mini Toor day Frants (Tour de Todd)

This was a chemical free event. Not a dope free event.

In slightly under 52 hours of riding time I rode 1000 miles during the month of July.

At the beginning of the year on BikeJournal.com someone started a thread about stating your goals out loud. So, I chimed in and said I would do 1000 miles in July. As I got closer to the month I came to realize that it wouldn't be so easy.

Some of the obstacles I had to overcome:

Hottest July on record for Salt Lake Area with an average temperature of 84 degrees. This wouldn't be a big deal. But, our AC at home went out for a couple of days.

Breaking in a new saddle. Actually I had it about 2 weeks before the beginning of the month. But, when I started to ride longer distances, I began to experience some soreness. I took a couple days off and then I was pretty good.

During this time I thought my chances of meeting the goal were next to nil. I only did about 130 miles the second week. But then that second Saturday I rode in the evening and realized I could maybe still make it.

We finally figured out a sleep disorder that I have been dealing with really for years. It kinda came to a head and I couldn't get to sleep early enough to wake up early enough. I got some medication to help me sleep. Then, the problem was I didn't want to get up in the morning. After some experimentation, I am taking half a dose half as often as the Doctor said and it seems to be working great.

Had to fit in two overnight campouts.

We had bad air quality because of rampant wildfires in the State. This bothered my throat for a couple of days.

We had several episodes of season four of "24" we had to watch.

I managed to steer clear of all the thundershowers.

My knee gave me almost no trouble, which is very untypical when I increase my mileage.

At the end I was ranked 909 in BikeJournal.com for my overall mileage. I probably won't stay there.

I expected my average speed to suffer quite a lot because it usually does when I increase my riding. I kept it up though and did the whole month over 19 mph average and slightly higher than all of my solo miles last year.

It was probably a good thing to do since I was kind of aimless and lackadaisical about my riding in June.

But, I probably won't be doing this again anytime soon.

No comments: