Meridian Magazine

01 May 2007

Flammis Acribus Addictis



We went to the newly refurbished Tabernacle Saturday evening at the invitation of ScaryEllen to see performances of the Mozart Requiem and the new Wilburg Requiem. It was very nice. Everyone needs to go to a live performance once in a while to remember how much better they are than recordings.

Now, I'm a pretty big fan of Mack Wilburg and he is very talented. But, I didn't love his Requiem. I did like the main orchestral theme and the haunting music of the "O Nata Lux." I might add that these were some of the things people I talked to liked the least. I didn't go for the one movement that was mainly Baritone solo. I think it was the 23rd Psalm movement. I found it very recitative sounding, without a musical line. If it was the 23rd Psalm movement, that is unfortunate because Mack Wilburg did a lovely arrangment of "My Savior Will Supply My Need" that is way better.

True to form the Utah audience had to give standing ovations at the drop of a hat and three curtain calls for Mack and Craig Jessop.

No comments: