Meridian Magazine

21 February 2007

Bridge to Saint George

We just had a very nice weekend in Saint George with my parents. It reminded me of a phrase from Bruce Hafen's Conference talk from April of 2004, "This earth is not our home. We are away at school, trying to master the lessons of "the great plan of happiness" so we can return home and know what it means to be there."

It is so difficult with the kids schedule and mine to find a time to go to the temple together. We awoke Saturday morning and went the the Saint George temple to do baptisms for the dead. It was a very sweet experience. After we were finished they asked me to baptize a brother on behalf of a Toraru Tamamoto and we confirmed him directly afterward at the side of the font. I assumed he was proxy for his father in law, since it appeared his wife was oriental. This too, was a sweet experience.

I didn't take my bicycle with me. But, I took my pedals and helmet and rode my dad's bike, after substantially adjusting the seat height (up about 10cm). On Saturday I went south on River road to the state line and turned around. On Monday I went over Foremaster Hill twice and then came back down Riverside drive and then onto the bike trail and back around to the entrance to I-15 at Bluff road and then doubled back home.

Lenore and the kids and I went to see Bridge to Terabithia Saturday afternoon. We all enjoyed it thoroughly. I had read some unflattering comments about it from OSC and I see what he was getting at. So my somewhat lowered expectations may have helped in really enjoying it. AnnaSophia Robb was great as was Josh Hutcherson.

I sang Rob Gardner's "Savior, Redeemer of my Soul" at my parents ward on Sunday. It went fine. I had forgotten to bring a beta blocker. So I called Stuart and he phoned in a prescription for one pill, twelve dollars. Lenore wasn't too thrilled about that since she firmly believes a placebo would do the same thing. But, she's not the one singing a solo then is she.

No comments: