Meridian Magazine

12 April 2006

Two weddings and a Funeral

Monday 3 April I had a funeral for Eva Richards. At 91 she was, I think, the second oldest person in the ward. It was a nice enough funeral. Her husband died in 1999. Since then she has not been in good health and the last time I saw her, around Christmas, you could tell she just wanted to pass on. That's what I prayed for.

Friday after work I talked Lenore into taking me and Laney to Maui Taco for dinner. They were short on churros and instead gave Laney a couple of kids meal type toys. One of these was a fake ice cream cone with a spring loaded sponge rubber ice cream scoop that would hit you in the face when triggered at the appropriate time. So countless times the rest of the evening I had to repeat the phrase, "O, please can I have a taste of your lovely ice cream cone" (imagine a droll delivery like Janeane Garofalo at Medieval Times in The Cable Guy) and submit to being shot in the face with this silly toy. Laney just cackled with delight each time. You can tell her sense of humor isn't very sophisticated.

I managed to finally loosen the stoker seat post on the tandem bike. The last time I adjusted it (in San Clemente) it was quite hard to move and in the meantime it seized. I had tried some minor measures to loosen it, liquid wrench and a pipe wrench. But, it wasn't moving. I purchased some penetrating oil and shot a bunch of it into one of the water bottle screw holes with the bike hanging upside down and let it sit for a while. Then I placed the seat post in the pipe clamp portion of my bench vise and cranked down on it enough to deform the tube pretty well. Then, I started trying to move the frame against the post. After a couple of tries there was a slight metallic ring as the grip of the rust gave way and I was able to twist it and get it out.

Jensen and I went for a ride after I cleaned it up and put it back together. It was windy again. Not quite as bad as last time. The ride felt pretty good though, I think because I've lost a little bit of weight and because of the last ride two weeks ago.

Saturday we had two weddings to go to. We first went to Elizabeth "Z" Jessop's sealing at the Salt Lake Temple. We got to see Jake Jessop his family and Erin and Jeff Nelson and their family. While waiting for the ceremony to begin it was absolutely quiet in the sealing room, very relaxing and restful, except for the two ladies to the left of me who insisted on whispering for most of the wait. They were whispering very quietly. But, it was still a little annoying.

Next, we had to go to Daybreak (almost Herriman) for Carrie's (one of Ailsa's best friends) wedding. It was also nice enough. She married a cowboy from Wyoming. I had my fill of barbecued meatballs and chicken salad sandwiches. From that reception Ailsa had to go up to West Point for another reception. The silly bride scheduled two receptions on her wedding day. Chantell Anderson rode with the bride and groom up to West Point in the "Just Married" car. I wonder how many people on the freeway thought they were watching an installment of "Big Love?"

Later that evening we returned downtown to the JSMB for Z's reception. It was very nice and quite fun to visit with everyone. We were surprised to see Heather and Stephen Beers there. But it was nice to see them and visit. Very quickly on Laney found that the Jessop grandchildren were all in the coat closet watching Shark Tale on DVD. So, we didn't have to worry about her becoming bored.

No comments: