Meridian Magazine

16 March 2006

Turkish Delight

When we were in Saint George last month we saw The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. We all enjoyed it a lot. I had never noticed what a nice voice Liam Neeson has. I read the whole set of Narnia books about five times when I was younger. I can remember stealing lots of time in choir and math classes in Junior High so I could keep reading.

So now Lane and I are reading them at night. It was a little hard to keep her interest through the Magician's Nephew. But, now that we are into the "Movie Part" she is intensely interested. She remembers details about the movie and compares them to the book. Since we saw it in Saint George, the movie is forever connected with that city in her mind. It seems she thinks it was made in Saint George.

There is a wonderful dedication in front of the second book (LWW):

To Lucy Barfield

My DEAR Lucy,

I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand, a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,


C.S. Lewis

No comments: