Meridian Magazine

14 November 2005

Post 911 Stress?

We saw "War of the Worlds" with Tom Cruise over the weekend. I can't say it hit on all cylinders. But, it was okay. I think it especially did a good job of conveying the "nightmare." I had a bit of a flashback during the first scene where the tripod is attacking in Brooklyn(??) I've had a few dreams in the last couple of years where end of the world events are clearly taking place. One of these occurred within the last week or two. A volcano was exploding and chunks of rock started falling out of the sky. Of course, they kept getting nearer and nearer to where I was until one huge piece came extremely close.

A couple of years ago I had a dream where airplanes started falling out of the sky in the same manner, getting ever closer to killing me and the people with me.

Several months after 911 WSJ columnist Peggy Noonan said that she had heard a lot of stories of dreams and spiritual experiences connected with 911. She asked people to write in to her about their experiences because she thinking of compiling a book on them. I wrote her about a dream I had probably less than a week or two at the most prior to 911.

The setting of the dream was Florence Italy (where I have never been but, in retrospect I think was meant to represent the seat of the "Empire".) We were visiting some acquaintances of mine from my mission. Again, I don't know anyone in Florence. I ventured out of the apartment which was right on Piazza San Marco (which is dumb because Piazza San Marco is in Venice.) There were lots of people milling around. All of a sudden there was a loud report and I turned to see some smoke and dust issuing from high on one of the corner towers of a very large palazzo that surrounded the piazza. This palazzo was immense in scale. Shortly after this "report" the palazzo started to crumble and everyone started scrambling to safety. I ran with Lenore and turned into a side street where we sought shelter in a doorway. At this point I awoke from the dream.

No comments: