Meridian Magazine

12 October 2005

Did They Send Me Daughters, When I Asked For Sons?

About a week and a half ago we had one of those evenings. I'm not sure what touched it off except that I believe I started in on the two older girls about their treatment of and reaction to Laney and her antics and please let us be the parents and... and... And Ailsa started in on how we are terrible parents and Laney gets away with everything, we were much harder on them, we experimented on Ailsa and ruined her. I countered with the fact that people change and you can't expect us to be the same now as we were 15 years ago and we are older and tired and have to choose our battles wisely. Pretty soon Ailsa was crying and then Jensen started in and I hadn't even been contending with her. So, of course I felt like a bad Bishop and even worse Father. After a while I realized that there was a higher than normal hormone level in the room and I just backed off.

I usually thank the Lord that I have girls instead of sons. Boys are usually a bit dopey and dimwitted compared to the girls their age. I think that might bother me. Also, I am so glad I don't have to do Boy Scouts and take them camping all the time. But, occasionally the females (said with Star Trek Ferengi intonation and disdain) have me completely baffled and flummoxed.

No comments: