Meridian Magazine

09 November 2017

Laney Nightmare Talk

A couple of weeks ago we arrived at Church in our usual hurried bustling manner. We sent the kids to claim our pew and Lenore and I took up posts at the doors welcoming people and scanning for those we don't know or who are newly returning to our midst (we are Ward Missionaries.)

As the meeting started and the first hymn began we settled into our places and Lenore glanced at the written program. Laney was listed as the first speaker.

Nate Cox had asked me a while back. Originally, the week they wanted was the Sunday we were on our Ensenada cruise. After a week or so and some confusion he eventually did call just a day or two before we were supposed to leave and asked Lane for the week after our vacation.

So, of course we all forgot until looking at the program that ill-fated morning. This is the stuff of nightmares. I was afraid Lane might melt down.

After a quick second or two of thought, I pulled out my electronic device (which was supposed to be powered off) and started looking. For several years now I have digitized as much as possible of talks and lessons we have all given/done. It's not 100% complete but almost.

I quickly located a talk that Laney gave about 5 years ago. It was a little simple but, we weren't about to be choosy.

As the Sacrament was ending Brother Brown and the Bishop looked our way and I gave a very slight nod that, yes, she was ready and would be presenting a talk. They had noticed that she wasn't seated on the stand.

She took my phone up to the pulpit and gave a great speech, reading some from the old talk and also ad libbing where possible and needed. I knew if she could just get the first couple of sentences out, she would be fine.

I'm sure this is not the first time this has happened. But, this may be the best outcome ever for the situation. Some people in the congregation knew of the near fiasco. But, that was because we were scrambling trying to figure out what to do.

We try to always be prepared.

No comments: