Meridian Magazine

20 September 2012

A River Runs Through it Part Deux


Last Friday the Stake had a nice get together evening for the Stake Leadership and their spouses. It was a lot like the handful of Bishop's retreats I attended, only just the one evening.

A dinner buffet was provided at President Daw's house in the ample backyard. There was prime rib and baked potatoes and chicken for those so disposed and other treats. A desert bar followed. We had a very enjoyable time visiting with others. We sat with Mary Williams and a friend, the Maynes, Ernie Smith and wife and Laurie and Randy Carlson.

After the meal we had tickets to go to the Freedom Foundation at Valley Forge concert commemorating the 225 anniversary of the signing of the Constitution held at the Tabernacle. I wouldn't just volunteer to go to something like this. But, I'm very glad I went.

We parked at the new City Creek mall. It was my first exposure. I found it to be as nice as I had been told. A river runs through it, well City Creek. But, I don't expect to spend much time there.

The first two numbers on the program didn't do too much for me, partly because it seemed the choir was not singing at full voice. One of my criticisms of the choir lately has been aimed at this sort of thing. The choir has really developed a very warm mellifluous homogeneous sound. But, I often feel like they are only using the talent of the choir and not the power as well. It's a little like having an 800 horsepower car that you only drive at 60 mph.

After the first two numbers though they did sing out a lot more and I would say it was thrilling and I don't think they were holding back at all. The rest of the program was phenomenal. I typically don't really like Sunrise Sunset or God Bless America. But, it was all thrilling. The Orchestra was phenomenal as well. It was really a treat to hear the Battle Hymn live. They still use their tried and true arrangement, with some slight and welcomed tweaks to set it apart from the favored recording from the 50's or 60's. For the last line of the final chorus Brother Wilberg turned around and invited the audience to sing. It was all quite moving. And now I can say I have sung with the Tab Choir.


No comments: