Meridian Magazine

03 June 2011

Dan's Project

“Uncle Dan,” Lenore's brother, has a cute little 425 square foot home in South Salt Lake on a nicely wooded lot. He bought this property in 1996 for about $63,000. He had to do a lot to fix the home. But, he did a very nice job.

I guess he had grown tired and bored and maybe cramped in his little space. He does have a lot of stuff.

He started house hunting maybe a year ago or more. Well, he recently bought another house and last Saturday we went to help him clean it up so he can move in.

I say “we.” Lenore did the lion's share of the work. I mostly walked around with mouth agape. It was so overwhelming for me I couldn't stay long. I washed a few windows and stuff. But, then I left.

Every square inch of the place SCREAMS “tear me down!” Nothing to code. Nothing finished. No window or door that was square or operated correctly. No baseboards. No casements. Lots of kludged repairs and additions. I had to channel the late Norrick Long and say, “it's a piece of crap.” He's basically spent $115 cash for a quarter acre lot in South Salt Lake.

However, Lenore likes the house. It reminds her of Marin. So, we have now wagered a dinner of choice for the person who in 10 years doesn't eat their words on this house. Sorry Dan. I came home with a greater appreciation for the state of our home.

No comments: