Meridian Magazine

30 April 2011

Looking for the Summer

I can be unusually singularly minded about some things. I have spent years of my life waiting for the next chance to go surfing, or play volleyball and lately to go cycling. I'm not manly enough to endure cycling through year-round Utah weather. This means that in the winter I might go 3-4 weeks without getting on the bike. I'm lucky to just maintain a semblance of fitness. Also, It is easy for me go up in weight by 15-20 lbs during the inactive winter (not so shocking I'm a pretty tall guy.)

So each year around February March and April I start thinking often about trying to get out on the bike. I used to get up early in the morning to ride and granted, if I were doing that I would have gotten a FEW more rides in. For various sleep and health related reasons I don't see myself getting up early much until the weather gets REALLY nice.

This year has been horrendous. It's so disheartening to try to plan out what rides you are going to get in during the coming week when the forecast calls for yuckey cold, rainy, and snowy weather all week. As I was writing this it started to snow briefly. And typically the nicest weather all week will fall on Sunday, with the exception of Conference weekend.

On the bike I like to go fast and I won't go that fast until I lose a little weight and that won't happen until I can get at least 3-4 rides in per week.

No comments: