Meridian Magazine

30 September 2009

Last Nice Weekend

Had a very nice weekend last. It seemed it may be the last Hurrah of the perfect weather we so often get here in Utah between April and October.

I worked a little late Friday, not very much, just 45 minutes. We got a case at 4:15 from a correspondent in the Northeast. I was a little ticked because, you know he was probably fiddling with it all day trying to solve it without any outside help and then sent it to us at the last minute. Anyway, Barry and Dan and I stayed and by 6:15 we had it figured out. I helped some. But, I also almost sent us home without finding the living heir. Dan read the crucial obit more carefully than me and caught my error. Anyway we did some good work and fancy footwork to solve it and it ended up that we were the third company to call the heir. That's probably an indication that the correspondent should have asked for our help earlier.

We had a hoedown of sorts at Prosperity. So we all dressed in our “Cowboy” attire (jeans, white t-shirt, me black boots, Lenore purple boots, Laney in whatever we can get her to wear) and went to the party. I spent most of my time as the designated event photographer. That way I didn't have to worry about dancing. Someone had brought two lambs and a goat and the kids and families were all trying to get their picture taken with the livestock. I just took a lot of pictures because you can't get kids to do what you want, let alone animals.

I got to spend a little time catching up with Laverne Davis who was there with most of her kids. It was good to see her.

I arranged a bike ride with Ben Bayless and Craig Buchi for Saturday morning. Ben was bringing Riley over. We were waiting around awhile for him so Craig and I took off and did a couple of laps of about 3 miles each before Ben showed up.

Ben brought a prototype Carbon Wheelset to test out. It was under 900 grams and costs $6000. Pretty neat. I rode his bike briefly. But, it's too small and squirrelly for me. The weather was beautiful. We went down into Draper and then uphill slightly ending up at the gas station where the climb goes up over Suncrest. We picked up a young guy named Brian on the way. he rode with us for about 10 miles.
We kept up the pace pretty well and I felt pretty good. Did a couple of line sprint type jumps that felt good. Craig and Ben hit it off well and did a lot of talking.

When we returned Lenore and I had a good chat with Ben and then he left Riley to play with Laney.

In the evening we took Leslie with us over to the Youngs and then went to see the new Bruce Willis movie: Surrogates. It was enjoyable and interesting. Lenore and some others really enjoyed it. I was just kinda pleased. We ate dinner at our usual place and then headed home to sit with the Youngs on their patio and chat.

No comments: