Meridian Magazine

21 May 2009

Uncle Jay

Orson Scott Card had the following column today:

Here are my thoughts:

I think, perhaps there is a clarity of thought and action that the Spirit is able to communicate in urgent circumstances. Although it may not be a big deal, this very possibly will be a life changing event for Aaron.

When I was a Boy Scout we had the responsibility of running the local fireworks booth as a fund raiser. This included setting up the booth. The Scoutmaster (my uncle) and a couple of us boys were struggling with the assembly of several ungainly panels of the booth. Suddenly, the roof started to fall. The boys all ran. But, my uncle stepped in to catch the falling panel. I was struck (figuratively) , first by my very quick reaction to abandon all, and second by my uncle's clearheadedness and courage to do what he did. Now, I was probably too small and weak to be of much help. But, I realized that an adult would immediately know and do the right thing. That stuck with me and has helped me since then several times react with courage and clarity in emergencies.

1 comment:

Tamsyn said...

I really need to learn this. I think that I will react calmly in an emergency...but does that mean I will?