Meridian Magazine

23 June 2008

Trek 2008

Although she participated in a Trek experience back in 2004, I was pleased that Jensen wanted to do it again. Since I am serving as Bishop, it's nearly mandatory that I attend and it was nice to have her there. We had a smaller group than last time (due mostly to demographics than lack of interest.) I was also pleased that a large number of kids who attended last time chose to attend this time as well. Sean Carter, Lindsey Irion and Nick DeMann from my family in 2004 participated this time.


I didn't have to be in a family and was called a "floater."I could pretty much do what I wanted. I had one small presentation I was in charge of. The rest was ad hoc filling in where/when needed. I even rode for part of the hiking, probably a total of 4 miles out of 19-20. Tyler Jessop was in charge of driving the truck and trailer pulling the port-o-johns. His father called it a sh**y job. I probably could have done all the hiking. But, it was really nice for my 50 year old feet, ankles, knees and lower back to be able to ride a little. There is no way I could trek from Iowa City to Salt Lake at this age. Like Lenore, I would just wait for the train tracks to be laid.



No rain this time. We really had wonderful weather. Lot's of sun. But, the nights were pretty cold, down into the 20's, a swing of 50 degrees throughout the day. By the third night I was pretty comfortable because I kept increasing my anti cold measures each night. The Leaders ate very well and really didn't feel too guilty about it. Occasionally we would "score" some of our treats for some of the kids, including a Dunford chocolate donut on the last morning for Jeremy Schumann. I was tempted to eat one of these in a bowl covered with whole cream.

The first night, right after the women's pull, we were treated with a glorious full moonrise (the "strawberry moon" sounds kinda romantic doesn't it?) over a slight bit of clouds on the horizon. For those who were awake at the right time, you could watch the moonrise and then set and then the sunrise during the course of the night, all unobstructed by buildings and clouds and lights and such. During our final evening's fireside chat President Daw was interrupted by a herd of cows that wanted to come down the valley and through our camp. They reluctantly turned around.

On the second day of hiking we found a patch of snow near enough to the trail to play in a little. The photographer took pictures of me and Dain and another kid making snow angels. We threw some snow around. I rolled some up in my bandana and tied it around my neck and it kept me cool for a long time.

The testimony meeting Sunday morning was very nice. I was pleased that the kids stayed on topic. It was clear that many of them are very spiritually connected and on the ball.

Here is the letter I wrote to Jens for Trek.

1 comment:

Matilda said...

Great PICTURES! I can't wait for my kids to go! Such a cool thing!