Meridian Magazine

16 June 2006

I Do Believe in Fairies, I Do, I Do.

We watched Finding Neverland last Tuesday night. I quite enjoyed it. Johnny Depp is quite amazing. But, Freddie Highmore (Charlie Bucket) did an equally outstanding job. I know it was a different Academy year. But, this is the kind of fare that I think Hollywood should be encouraging instead of Brokenback Mountain and Crash.

Along those same lines is the recently available, Nanny McPhee. It almost hurts to see Emma Thompson so ugly. Of course, once you see her losing her stink you begin rooting for her to be restored to her usual comely self. I think this is better than Mary Poppins. It seems a little weird to compare the two. Angela Lansbury was also top drawer. Now I'm always asking Laney for "secret toast and jam."

A funny thing, we bought the DVD off eBay and we are pretty sure it is a pirated copy. We purchased it in the middle of April. It wasn't released until 9 May. Our copy has some printing mistakes on the case. It shows the movie info for "Serenity" and the pictures for Nanny McPhee. We are just glad it works on our older machines. It won't play on the Smith's newer DVD players.

Also, we have recently enjoyed The Producers. I have to say it is very irreverent. The kids can't stop saying "Ulla dance again." Uma seems to do quite well in comedy. Of course, Nathan Lane, is stellar and even at times looks like Zero Mostel. As a family we figured the only reason it was ignored by Hollywood was because it pokes (pun intended) so much fun at the gays in theater.

No comments: